Hi Daniel,

to my experience motion heavily correlated with the paradigm
cannot be addressed in a satisfactory way.

Motion artifacts typically appear as activation at the brain boundary,
on the border of ventricles and the eyes.

If one calculates both models (with and without mps)
the result is that entering the mps can remove nearly all
of the original signal (e.g. activation in language areas
such as broca). Also, motion artifacts are not completely
removed. I could live with this if motion artifacts would be
removed more than signal but this only holds the more
motion is absent or uncorrelated with signal.

Therefore, entering the mps into the model in the case
of significant motion correlated to the paradigm does
not make much sense.
The only other option is, of course, to discard the data
and not to do such an experiment again.

Anja

(areas of strong brightness contrast)

Dr. Anja Ischebeck
Innsbruck Medical University
Clinical Department of Neurology
Anichstrasse 35
A-6020 Innsbruck - Austria
tel.: +43 (0) 512 504 23661

>>> "Daniel H. Mathalon" <[log in to unmask]> 07.10.2005 14:55

Anja,
Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I understand that the first level models
will change when motion parameters are added, particularly when
motion correlates with events of interest.  However, I'm not sure
whether there is good solution in this case.  Removal of variance
associated with motion may also remove task-related brain activation,
yet ommission of motion parameters from the model raises the
possibilty that activations are actually caused by motion-related
artifacts.

Dan

>Hi Dan,
>
>you are right, of course, with regard to the degrees of freedom.
>Degrees of freedom are only relevant for fixed effects analysis.
>Only the con images are entered into the random effects model so
>the error term is calculated differently (over all con images instead
>of over all scans) and the degrees of freedom are determined by the
>number of con-images alone.
>
>However, this does not mean that entering motion parameters or not
>does not affect also the random effect analysis. It does, on the
>level of fitting the model (getting the con-values).
>
>The random effects analysis will be affected if entering
>additional regressors also changes the fit of the model for the
>predictors
>of interest. This is not very likely for motion perfectly
uncorrelated