In the standard Analyze format, there is no space allocated in the headers for
the orientation of the images.  This is why additional .mat files are used by
SPM99 and SPM2.  If the converter doesn't create such .mat files, then the
direction cosines will simply be the default values.  One of the features of
NIFTI is that space in the headers has been used in order to store the
orientations of the images.

Best regards,
-John