> Currently we are working with so-called "Optimized VBM" on SPM2 but
> after reading some comments on the Wiki, I am now eyeing SPM5.  The
> reason I am writing this mail is that I am interested in streamlining
> the current process with regard to performing statistics.  (I have a
> dream goal of having everything 100% automated.  )  The current
> methodology strikes me as being quite inefficient but it is how
> things were being done at another lab so it has some inertia.

There is rather a lot of inertia within this field.  Some people still
actually use SPM99!!!

The new user-interface in SPM5 should make your life rather easier in terms of
doing the preprocessing.  It's just a matter of segmenting all the subjects,
and smoothing.  There is no (not yet anyway) such new UI for the stats models
you will need though.

Best regards,
-John