Mike -

If you do a one-way ANOVA with 4 conditions then strictly speaking you won't
be able to specify the right variance components for the nonsphericity
'correction' in SPM2 (this may not be true of SPM5 but I'm not sure if it's
'in' yet-?) - however you could do it by hand and adjust SPM.xVi.Vi, or you
could simply select the full nonsphericity options as if both factors were
within subjects, and hope that the estimated covariances between the
conditions that are from different subjects is near zero (as they should be
zero!).

Here and in the regression model (in which I don't think there's a
nonsphericity option) your T-contrast of [-1 1 1 -1] would give you the
interaction where drug - placebo effects are bigger in the controls than in
the patients. You'd need to do [1 -1 -1 1] for the other direction. (I'm not
sure what you mean by 'AND' here)

The other way to do it with no compromise or hacking is simply to do the
drug-placebo contrasts at the first level as you originally suggested (if
you have put them into a single design matrix for each subject as 2
sessions) and take this up to the 2nd level for 1- (for effects within group
or overall) and 2- (for group differences) sample t-tests . This is slightly
different from putting everything in a 2nd level mixed ANOVA because it
effectively tests each effect against its own error term  - see various
postings by Rik Henson, e.g.
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0507&L=SPM&P=R11001&I=-3&X=29
B1D5211551440611&Y=amm96%40cam.ac.uk for more detail - but either is
correct, that's just a matter of preference.

Hope this helps

Alexa