Did you recompile a new spm_list_files?  Check to see which mex files you
have.  If you have the appropriate mex, then check to ensure that it is in a
directory earlier in the Matlab search path than the spm_list_files.m.  A few
things to type into matlab that may help you to figure out the problem are:
    which spm_list_files
    which path

Best regards,
-John