From: "Eric Zarahn" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2005 1:01 AM
Subject: Re: [SPM] Inference fo contrast

Hi Amit,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anand, Amit" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Eric Zarahn" <[log in to unmask]>; <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, May 29, 2005 6:20 PM

> Hi Eric,
>
> Thanks for you reply but I am still unclear about this.  There are only
two conditions A and B in our current experiment. One could take the resting
state as condition C but what if you do not have that.

Yes, I understand. But when you laid out your possibilities underlying a
positive A minus B contrast value, you were assigning absolute levels of
activation to A and B. But in BOLD fMRI there are no meaningful absolute
levels activation (e.g., even the brain of a cadaver will have positive T2*
weighted signal in its voxels); all meaningful activation is implicitly
relative to some other condition (even when it is not stated as such). So,
without some third condition C (even if just conceptual), then statements
like "positive activity in A greater than negative activity in B" make no
sense (or are at least ill-defined and unknowable) in BOLD fMRI. To hammer
the point home, the only way to understand BOLD fMRI activation is in
relative/comparative terms (unless there has been some important theoretical
paper out there that I have missed!).

> By inhibited I do mean decrease from resting state.

Right. So if B represents your resting state, B minus A will have positive
values in voxels that have higher values in the resting state compared to A.

Eric