Hi again,
Sorry (again). I should have followed the thread a bit more closely before
sending out my previous answer.  I'd forgotten about your previous enquiries
(I send up to about 35 emails a day), so the email I just sent you relates to
spatially normalising to the SPM templates.

I think the amount of smoothing you use should partly depend on how accurate
you believe the registration can be.  In principle, it should be possible to
achieve better intra-subject registration than inter-subject, so you should
be able to use less smoothing.

The slightly different contrast in the images could be a problem though, as
the least squares objective function assumes that one image looks like a
spatially transformed version of the other - but with Gaussian noise added.
This means that registration of diffusion weighted images may produce
slightly biased results (as they don't really conform to the model).  I
therefore wouldn't really be able to say how accurately they could be
registered.

Jesper Andersson had a paper at HBM a few years ago about getting diffusion
images in register.  I think that you may be able to achieve better
registration this way.  Unfortunately, there is no toolbox in SPM that will
do this though.

If you want to just try rigid-registration, then the coregister button may do
a reasonable job though.

All the best,
-John