I have written so many scripts of this sort that I can't remember what the
get_integrals script is doing exactly.  Doesa the script you have do anything
with the .mat field?  The discrepancy could be something to do with not
taking voxel sizes into account.  Are the voxel sizes in your .hdr files
correct?

The value returned by the script need not fall between 0 and 1, since it is
the integral of the values in the file.  Ideally, it should be converted into
units that are a bit easier to digest.  Volumes in litres are usually between
0 and 1.

Best regards,
-John