Did the images have .mat files to begin with?  If so, then this would have
caused problems.  Step (4) is so that the originals revert back to their
original orientation - which only works if the images don't already have .mat
files.  If they do have, then these should probably have been copied
somewhere, and then copied back afterwards.

Best regards,
-John