Dear SPMers,

I am seeking some clarification on how to set up an ANOVA within subjects
analysis of fMRI data with a covariate in SPM2. I have used ANCOVA and am
not sure whether I am using it appropriately as I have 4-within-subjects
(fMRI) conditions as opposed to 4 independent groups. When running ANCOVA,
one is not able to enter number of conditions, rather number of groups is
asked for and if I indicate that I have four groups, I must enter my
covariate four times. (Note that I am selecting correction for
non-sphericity).

Although ANCOVA completes without error I am concerned that this may not be
a valid analysis. Similar concerns were raised by someone else on the list,
though this was with respects to VBM, not fMRI:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0502
<http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0502&L=spm&P=R27702&I=-1>
&L=spm&P=R27702&I=-1 Is there are rationale for why the fMRI models allow
for a within-subjects ANOVA but not a within-subjects ANCOVA or is this
something that will be updated in future versions of SPM? Although this type
of analysis may be achieved using PET/SPECT models using a "multi-subjects:
conditions and covariates" selection, is it valid to be running a 2nd level
fMRI analysis under the PET/SPECT options. (Or is this again something that
will be updated for fMRI models in SPM5?)

I am aware that I could also run this as multi-session analysis but cringe
at the thought of re-doing pre-processing (particularly if there is another
option).

Thanks in advance,

Andrew