Dear SPM Experts:

I'm interested in the optional binarization step in VBM John mentioned in Human
Brain Function 2nd ed. It says,

"A further possible step after segmentation would be the binarization of the
resulting tissue class images. Many tissue classification methods produces
images where each voxel is the a posteriori probability that that voxel should
be assigned to a particular tissue type according to the model. These
probabilities are values between zero and one. Binarization would involve
assigning each voxel to its most likely tissue class."

I have been trying to implement this step of binarization, but I'm struggling
with setting threshold for this binarization. This is because non gray matter
regions have some values other than zero (such as 0.01, 0.03 etc), so simply
performing Imcalc i1>0 results in covering other regions than gray matter. I
change the threshold manually right now (eg i1>0.04, which seems to be pretty
good to me), but I think there has to be some good formula to set the threshold
to extract just gray matter. And also I'm wondering if there is a way to compare
the segmented image with the binarization image and see whether right regions
are binarized or not. Could you please let me indicate how to do that? I would
be grateful for any suggestions.

Regards,

Kiyotaka

--