Dear Helmut,
I guess your contrasts compare a reduced model to the full one, which is
probably not what you want. To find out differences between conditions
irrespective of their signs I think it's appropriate to specify the contrast-
"matrix" for the F-test as if it were a t-contrast, i.e:
[-1 1] or
[-1 1 -1 1]
but still doing an F-test.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong....