Dear Will and Zoltan,

Thank you guys for providing excellent explanations.  I appreciate it
veru much.  Could I ask you a second question? ;-)

As you can see, I am carrying out a clinical examination, in which I
compare each patient value with normal values derived from 27 controls
on MRI after normalization of all patients and control images. In the
previous mail, I wrote that I did not use "grand mean scaling",
"Threshold masking", "threshold", "Implicit mask", "explicitly mask",
"Global calculation", and "non-sphericity correction." However, I
realized that this was a first-level analysis.  Therefore, I thought I
should have used some of them, and I tried to use them in GUI of SPM2
as followings;

 1. grand mean scaling ---> scaling of overall grand mean
 2. scale overall grand mean to ---> 50
 3. Threshold masking ---> relative
 4. threshold (relative to global) ---> 0.8
 5. Implicit mask (ignore zero's)? ---> no
 6. explicitly mask images? ---> no
 7. Global calculation ---> mean voxel value (within per image
 fullmean/8 mask)
 8. non-sphericity correction? ---> no

Then, I obtained very similar results to those when I said no to all
options described above.  I am wondering which is the correct way and
which values are correct if I should use grand mean scaling and
masking etc.  I would appreciate any help very much in advance.

--
Kohkichi Hosoda M.D.

        Department of Neurosurgery,
        Hyogo Emergency Medical Center/Kobe Red Cross Hospital,
        1-3-1 Wakinohama-Kaigan-Dori, Chuo-ku, Kobe, 651-0073, JAPAN
        Telephone  078-241-3131
        Fax        078-241-2772
        e-mail address : [log in to unmask]