Dear colleagues,

I'm planning a block design fMRI experiment with at least 5 different
conditions.

The number of stimuli are different, and I'd like to avoid repetitions.

I'd appreciate your comments on a few questions I have:

1) Would it be a problem to compare condition 1 (1 block, 7 stimuli

with 3 sec ISI = 21 sec) to a condition 2 (3 blocks, 7 stimuli each with
same ISI) ?

2) If we only plan to look at contrasts (cond 2 - cond 1) etc. and have

all blocks randomized to avoid order effects, is there any reason to
implement

a rest between blocks ?

3) What is considered to be the minimum block duration (TR = 2sec) ?

I'd assume at least 15-20 seconds in order to allow the hrf to peak and
reach

an optimum ? Is shorter than 15 sec feasible ?

4) is there a benefit in terms of statistical power to have one 30 sec

block vs. 2 15 sec blocks ?

Jiang