Dear Angela,

The mapping between the T-value and p-value is nonlinear, monotonic
and analytic.
However this mapping changes with the search volume.  The only useful
p-value is the
p-value that has been adjusted to control for false positives
(referred to colloquially as
the corrected p-value).  [The uncorrected p-values (for height and
extent) can only be
applied to single voxels or clusters that have been identified a
priori.  In the absence
of this a priori specification are not true p-values].

The p-values are a function of the T-value, and the search
volume.   This function is
encoded in spm_P and its sub-functions (the help is below).  You will
see that there are
other arguments such as the degrees of freedom, but these will be
fixed for any SPM{T}.
The search volume R can change depending on the degree of anatomical
constraint used
in inference.  If you look at the p-values before and after a small
volume correction (SVC)
you will see that they change.

I hope this helps - Karl

>I have a question about SPM.  Is there a one-to-one linear mapping between
>the t-statistics stored in spmT.img files and the p-values?

Returns the [un]corrected P value using unifed EC theory
   FORMAT [P p Em En EN] = spm_P(c,k,Z,df,STAT,R,n,S)

   c     - cluster number
   k     - extent {RESELS}
   Z     - height {minimum over n values}
   df    - [df{interest} df{error}]
   STAT  - Statisical feild
                 'Z' - Gaussian feild
                 'T' - T - feild
                 'X' - Chi squared feild
                 'F' - F - feild
                 'P' - Posterior probability
   R     - RESEL Count {defining search volume}
   n     - number of component SPMs in conjunction
   S     - Voxel count

   P     - corrected   P value  - P(n > kmax}
   p     - uncorrected P value  - P(n > k}
   Em    - expected total number of maxima {m}
   En    - expected total number of resels per cluster {n}
   EN    - expected total number of voxels {N}