I am processing data from an fMRI paradigm acquired from a 1.5T scanner
and have some questions related to motion parameters.  In the case of some
subjects movement is fairly low (within 1 mm and 1 degree in all directions
and rotations) except for a few quick, jerky movements.  I have read this
can be problematic for Realign to correct so I would like to address this
potential problem.  In talking to someone they suggest a method described by
Tom Nichols involving adding the 6 motion parameters as coregressors and a
7th column that includes 0s and 1s for each volume.  I have been unable to
find documentation on this method and I'm not sure to which volumes should a
1 or 0 be attributed (my guess would be 0s for the bad volumes and 1s for
the good ones).  Any help in directing me to a description of this method or
elucidatig the finer points would be greatly appreciated.
  I have another more theoretical question about adjusting for motion
parameters. We currently use a threshold of 2-3 mm and degrees of movement
and rotation as the point at which we discard a scan due to excessive
movement.  With a study we do involving kids we use a more relaxed threshold
(~4 mm and degrees) since children tend to have greater trouble remaining
still.  Since coming across the idea of using motion parameters as
co-regressors I have begun to wonder if it's logical to broaden the
acceptable motion range if one includes MPs as regressors.  I understand
including MPs can reduce true activation signal if that signal is correlated
with motion as well.  Is there a ceiling at which there is simply too much
motion that signal cannot be interpreted legitimately even after Realign and
covarying for the MPs?  If one generally does not include MPs does it make
sense to include them in the case of particular subjects with high motion to
better account for signal that may be motion induced and examine all these
subjects together at the group level?

Thanks in advance,
Patrick