dear all,

I have remarked something strange, with which you could possibly help
in interpretation.

I study bilinguals in first (L1) and second (L2) language during a
verb generation task. I perform within-group analyses by using an
anova. I compared several (sub)groups of L1 > L2 and L2 > L1.Only one
particular group showed significant activation  in L1 > L2. which is
strange, because you would expect - if any - activations in L2 > L1.

So, to double check I took a look at the 1 sampled T test of each
group seperately. I supposed that these activations found in the
comparison could be either (1) actual activations of L1 or (2)
deactivated clusters in L2.
None of the clusters could retrieved in the one-sampled-T-test of L1,
but all four in the deactivation contrast of the 1-sampled-T-test  of
L2.

1- am I correct in supposing that these deactivations in L2 cause the
activations in L1 > L2?
2- how to interpret these "deactivations": I realise that they can be
interpreted as variations in the baseline/default activation of the
brain.  So that if the brain becomes "active", deactivations occur in
unrelevant areas. However, the areas I have got are not all
"unrelevant" to a language task (right VLPFC, left SMA, Right STG,
and R dorsal motor/premotor)

any help is greatly appreciated!
kind regards
kat