Dear SPM Users,

I am doing a simple block design experiment where I am have two conditions
faces and houses. Both face and house stimuli will parametrically vary in
luminance.

I would like to use the first order polynomial basis function to see
whether there are any areas which are modulated by changes in luminance of
faces, but not houses.

My main question is how to define the contrast?

From what I understand my GLM looks like this:

Y = Faces*beta1 + (Faces*Time)*beta2 + Houses*beta3
(Houses*Time)*beta4 + mean*beta5 + error

Would it be correct if I defined my contrast as [0 1 0 -1 ] and used a
t-test?

How can I decide if I need to use a higher order basis function and which
order to use?

Thank you,

Marsha Meytlis
Ph.D. student