On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 20:39:58 +0200, =?iso-8859-1?B?SvZyZyBLcuRtZXI=?=
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
 It
>works ok but we use it to evaluate fitness in a GA (roll eyes) which of
>course multiplies any delays, so it might be worth restructuring. I just
>found it hard to predict whether establishing a more complicated data
>structure in the first place would save us any time - probably depends on
>the small-world qualities of the individual graph.

Dear Joerg,

This is just a quick reminder that your may get properties of small world
networks with visibility graphs, but this is probably for trivial reasons.

Indeed, isovists are computational artefacts, built in a way that a graph
of the isovist points will, in general, contain points both close and far
away (in Euclidean terms). Thus, if you build a graph out of inter-visible
points, you'll probably get small world properties -trivial, isn't it?

Now:
1. The small world phenomenon is a trick -it doesn't seem to mean much-
and depends on the presence of long corridors so that the isovists contain
points in the neighbourhood as well as faraway. So it is not a general
phenomena (you’re not likely to find it, unless the plan contains
these "corridors");

2. Isovists haven't taken off in the Psychology/Neuroscience literature.
So, be careful as the link between isovists and perception is yet to be
established outside of the 300 or so members of this list. Most people
would regard isovists as computationally interesting –but any theory
relating them with human perception is “ad-hoc” at the time of writing.

All the best,
Rui