Any responses direct to Mark please - another non-list member...

Colin

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Ovenden [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 16 February 2005 14:57
To: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Subject: Graphic design and signage

Hello

Wondered if you might be able to point me in the right direction for some
resource material on historic signage and graphic design on both British
Rail and some overseas operators?

May name is Mark Ovenden and my last book 'Metro Maps of the world' was
published in association with Londons Transport Museum and the UITP. In this
new book I am trying show how the fonts and graphic devices used in stations
and on printed material began to grow into the corporate identity of
railways and transport organisations.

The particular materials I am trying to locate are;

The Design Research Units British Railways Corporate Identity Manual and
The New York Transit Authority Graphics Standards Manual designed by Unimark

I have been in touch with the British Library, London Transport Museum,
Library of Congress and no-one seems to have a copy of either. I'm still
waiting for a reply from the Network Rail Library  The MTA in New York do
have their manual but are very reluctant to allow people to see it (plus of
course its in New York which isnt too handy!)

Any help with either of these two works or indeed other documents showing
how to apply graphics and signage to stations would be most apreciated. The
book is focussing more on metro systems but of course any transport signage
material is very helpful. The book will include include historic posters and
tickets as they play a part in reflecting the entire corporate identity
package but tracking down old metro posters is also quite a chore!

Anyhow as I say any pointer you might be able to give would be greatly
appreciated.

Many thanks indeed

Mark Ovenden
Author