From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Mike Esbester
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 4:56 PM
Subject: Mutual Improvement Classes

Dear all,

I am currently researching occupational safety on the railways between 1913 and 1939.  Part of my work has led me to consider how workplace skills are transmitted.  I am interested in how much influence companies had over what their manual employees were actually doing (as opposed to what they should have been doing) on a day-to-day basis.  I am not thinking so much of being AWOL or drinking on the job or similar; more I am thinking of ways in which the companies tried to tell their manual employees how to perform their jobs (for example, the ‘correct’ way of firing an engine, packing a sleeper, operating a lathe etc).

I would imagine that Mutual Improvement Classes played a role in this (at least for the enginemen; did anything similar exist for the other grades?).  If anyone could point me in the direction of primary or secondary sources relating to Mutual Improvement Classes or educational facilities aimed at the workers (particularly the manual grades), I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Esbester