If anyone has any ideas perhaps they would get in touch with David direct (he isn't a list member).

C.

-----Original Message-----
From: DAVID LEE [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 07 February 2005 08:11
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Rail Routes in 1931/32

Good Morning Prof Divall
I have found your name at the University of York site that gives extracts from articles about the German and Italian Railways in the 1930's.

My primary interest is stamp collecting and I am trying to establish what route would have been followed in 1931/32 by mail to southern Africa that was carried by trains from London to Brindisi in Italy.    Can you help me at all - or point me to a site that would have such details?

All I can guess is that the mail would have gone from London Victoria on Southern Railways and (intermediate stops and any changes in railway company unknown) arrived at Paris Gare du Nord.  Then somehow across Paris to Gare d'Austerlitz and then I have no ideas.

I'm trying to compile an account of the way mail was carried - once it got to Brindisi, it was carried by seaplane to Athens and Alexandria and the rest is fairly well documented.   The rail part in! Europe is a mystery to me though.

Can you help at all?   I would appreciate any advice.

Regards

David Lee