Hi Phil:

You appear to have moved onto a different subject!

The Scammel Scarab was part of a long story of the transport of goods from
the rail head to the customer. This starts with the horse and dray etc ….

Mechanised transport for Goods Transport, including Thornycroft vehicles,
Lister trucks etc and the organisation of the Freight Terminals in the
pre-war era are covered in books such as “Modern Railway Operation” by
D.R.Lamb, pub Sir Issac Pitman & Sons in 1926, 1927 and 1941.

The story is carried forward in general in Railway Operating Practice by H.
Samuel (from BR School of Transport, Derby), pub Odhams 1961

If your interest is in freight then Volume 2 of Railway Commercial Practice
by H F Sanderson pub Chapman Hall 1952 will be of interest. It includes
some photos of fork-lift truck drivers working with goods porters and also
has a couple of photos of your beloved Scarab as well as other well known
“Mechanical Horses”.

Further information on these in general can be obtained from the Mechanical
Horse Club on from their web-site as

http://www.mechanical-horse-club.co.uk/

HOWVER I digress…………….

May I ask what the expected outcome of your research is?

At 19:45 02/03/2005, you wrote:
>That is very useful... It raises the issue of casual staff too...
>
>You mention mechanisation does it mention the introduction of the Scammel
>Scarab?
>
>Phil
>
>>From: Bill Hillier <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: "Phil Ashworth" <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Re: Railway Porters.
>>Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 17:52:42 +0000
>>
>>Hi Phil:
>>
>>Glad it was of interest.
>>
>>Perhaps the following may be of assistance?
>>
>>There is a Chapter on the working of a Goods Station in Elements of
>>Railway Operating by Hallsworth published by the North Eastern Railway
>>1914. On page 157 in a section on Duties of the Warehouse Staff he
>>describes the duties of a Porter as:
>>
>>"The duty of a goods porter is simply to convey goods from one part of
>>the warehouse to another according to the instructions of the checker. A
>>man of fairly good physique is required with sufficient intelligence to
>>prevent him from taking goods to the wrong wagon. Of the porters employed
>>at goods stations some are members of the permanent staff, whilst others
>>are merely engaged from day to day and are thus termed "casuals." The
>>chief factor governing the employment of casuals is that fluctuations in
>>traffic necessitate the staff being strengthened or reduced as the case
>>may be, and it is obvious that under these conditions the employment of
>>casual labour is necessary."
>>
>>Most of the later books on the same subject seem more concerned with
>>mechanisation and process rather than the human side of the business.
>>

>>At 15:05 02/03/2005, you wrote:
>>>From: "Phil Ashworth" <[log in to unmask]>
>>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>>Subject: Re: Railway Porters.
>>>Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:05:35 +0000
>>>
>>>Bill,
>>>
>>>Excellent tip thank you...The cheque is in the post to Wild Swan as I type!
>>>
>>>Phil
>>
>>regards
>>
>>Bill Hillier

regards