Dear Mr Boodoo,

The most recent introduction of a train ferry service is that between
the Chinese mainland and the island of Hainan. We did a study
about three years ago about the landing stage and vertical
transition curves for the railway tracks. The service was
inaugurated in 2004. There are train ferries across the Straits of
Messina (Italy), between Russia and Sachalin, Finnjet between
Germany and Finland, the night ferry between Germany and
Sweden, the Black Sea or Caspian Sea or both. Messina, Hainan
and Malmo all carry passenger trains as well as freight.

The Danes can split a train into 4 parts and put it on the ferry
tracks in less than 10 minutes! It is a slick operation. There is
interest in reopening Dover to Dunkerque for hazardous goods.

Please give my regards to your boss!

Kind regards,

FELIX.

On 17 Feb 2005, at 0:45, Anzir Boodoo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking for information on train ferries. Specifically, does
> anyone have information on the train services operated (and which
> ports handled the loading of trains onto ferries to and from the UK)
> and what they heyday of this type of operation was.
>
> Do train ferries continue to operate in any part of the world?
>
> Are there any significant drawbacks to using such services today,
> aside from the obvious ones that the rolling stock is required to be
> conveyed on ferry for long periods of time, and that a ferry is much
> shorter than a freight train. Does loading a train onto a ferry take
> longer than transshipping its contents?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Anzir Boodoo MRes MILT Aff. IRO
> transcience, Leeds Innovation Centre, 103 Clarendon Road, LEEDS LS2
> 9DF

Felix Schmid
Senior Lecturer in Rail Systems Engineering
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Sheffield
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Mappin Street