The night ferry still was running in August1978 when I rode it from
Victoria to Gare de Nord. I recall that it was composed of  about seven
Wagon Lits sleepers of a smaller loading gauge than continental stock, and
that it ran as a second section to a very long and crowed second class
coach train that did not run onto the ferry. Greg T.

At 12:05 AM 2/18/2005, Malcolm Bott wrote:
>  As a very slight correction, the southern ferry service operated to
>Dunkerque, not Calais. The facilities at Dunkerque were largely destroyed
>during the second world war and were rebuilt in the 1950's. This carried a
>through overnight passenger service from London Victoria to Paris (the Night
>Ferry) until I believe the early 1970's.

Gregory L. Thompson
Professor and Doctoral Program Director
Department of Urban and Regional Planning
Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL 32306-2280
1.850.644.8514 office phone
1.850.645.4841 fax