Hi:
I can confirm that there were Ladies Only compartments in the suburban loco
hauled trains from Bedford to St Pancras up until these were replaced by
DMU's in 1960(app). My wife used them regularly from 1958 onwards.

The windows had a green sign "LADIES ONLY". Some BR coaches has this provision.

There is a picture of such a window on page 89 of Keith Parkin's book
"British Railways Mark 1 Coaches" published by HMRS / Pendragon in 1991

  At 14:15 01/03/2005, Juliet Jain wrote:
>I was recently informed by a lady in her 70s that there used to be 'women
>only' railway carriages in britain.  Can anyone confirm this, and point me
>to any references about this?
>
>Please email to the address below.
>
>Dr Juliet Jain
>Research Associate
>Centre for Transport and Society
>Faculty of the Built Environment
>University of the West of England
>Frenchay Campus
>Coldharbour Lane
>BRISTOL   BS16 1QY
>
>Tel: 0117 328 3304
>Fax: 0117 328 3899
>Email: <mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
>
>www.transport.uwe.ac.uk

>This email has been independently scanned for viruses and any virus
>software has been removed using McAfee anti-virus software

regards

Bill Hillier