RE: CONFIDENCE IN OFFICIAL STATISTICS

Ray, I'm not clear what is Barbara's reply and what is your comment. If she is saying that the Commission already knows radstats members' views on the need for good quality statistics, I think that is fair enough.

Alison

-----Original Message-----
From: Ray Thomas [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 11 March 2005 08:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Fw: CONFIDENCE IN OFFICIAL STATISTICS

I've had a reply from the Statistics Commission - given below.  Those
unaccustomed to doublespeak may have difficulty in understanding it.    So I
offer a translation.

Barbara Buckley is saying that there are no quality problems with official
statistics.   They are produced in accordance with a code of practice.
They are self-certificated as being of the highest quality in accordance
with international standards.   So the question of what SHOULD be the level
of trust in official statistics is not of interest.  We should assume that
the level of trust  SHOULD be 100%.

Unfortunately the general public, and people like MPs, are not very numerate
and do not understand or appreciate the nature of the work that goes to make
British statistics the best in the world.   And there are lot of
intermediaries, especially journalists, but also near election times a lot
of politicians, who do not use statistics in the respectful way that their
quality deserves.   Journalist often use statistics casually and in general
they use statistics for  the stories they tell and are highly selective, to
say the least, in the slant they give in their reports.   And even Mr Blair
uses statistics to make party political points!

The Commission needs to know why journalists and politicians and other
opinion formers don't trust statistics - because we need to enlist on our
side opinion formers who can instil into the public a proper respect for
official statistics.

The Commission doe not need to know the views of those like radstats member
who are well informed about official statistics because radstats members
know that trust in official statistics should be 100%.   How could radstats
members possibly think that their governmental colleagues do not conduct
their work according to the highest standards?

The Commission recognises that those well informed about official
statistics, like radstats members, may have statistical needs that are not
met by official statistics.   But that not a matter of quality, but is
probably a matter of resources.   If radstats and others give the Commission
support we may be able to get the required resources from the Government top
fulfill these needs.

The description of the Statistical Commission as a watchdog on the ONS
always seemed a bit meaningles.   But the meaning now seems clear.   The
Commission has become the guard-dog protecting and defending the ONS.

Strange things  happen at election times!

Ray Thomas