|I have had a reply from Barbara Buckley at the Statistics Commission.  She
says that the cost of the research undertaken by MORI  for the Official
Statistics: Perceptions and Trust Report was £38,000 + VAT and printing of
the reports cost £1,550 + VAT, and the Commission also contributed £10,000
towards the cost of the qualitative focus group work undertaken by ONS.

I responded by asking a further question:  'Why did not the Commission put
the question to the Radstats email list?'

This audience would have been less arbitrarily chosen than the members of
focus groups or that of opinion formers.  It would have cost nothing except
staff time to put the message, to participate in ensuing discussion, and to
make a report on
conclusions/summary of the interaction.   It would have been using the
e-technology that is now widely available in a constructive way.

And I pointed out that it was not too late to put the question to the list.

Ray Thomas
35 Passmore, Tinkers Bridge, Milton Keynes MK6 3DY
Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel/Fax 01908 679081

Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your
message will go only to the sender of this message.
If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's
'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically
to [log in to unmask]