From: Bland, M. [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 25 July 2005 10:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Roy Meadow

The defence certainly had statistical advice at the time of the appeal,
because I was asked for some help by their advisor.  I am pretty sure
this was Phil Dawid of University College.  I had posted comments at the
time of the first trial, either on this list or Allstat, about the risks
of cot death.

I don't think we should beat ourselves up too much about this.  At the
time of the first trial it was reported in the media that pathology
evidence was that the second child had suffered a violent death, and
that this led to a reappraisal of the pathology on the first death.  The
probability evidence was not the key evidence.  Unless you hear all the
evidence in a case, it is rash to jump to conclusions and I don't think
we should do so from what we read in the newspapers.  The Appeal Court
judges did not think that the statistical evidence was important.

Martin

Macfarlane, Alison wrote:

> There was quite a lot of correspondence on this list at the time of
> the Sally Clark case, but did anyone take it any further then?
>
> One issue is that at the time of the publication of the TSO report on
> the cot death studies, the Confidential Enquiry into Stillbirths and
> Deaths in Infancy did not have any statisticians on its advisory
> bodies. It did at an earlier stage, but Bev Botting and I were there
> as representatives of OPCS/ONS and the National Perinatal Epidemiology
> Unit respectively, in other words as stakeholders rather than
> statisticians. Needless to say we passed comments on statistical issues.
>
> Alison
>
> Alison Macfarlane
> Department of Midwifery
> City University
> 24 Chiswell Street
> London EC1Y 4TY
> Tel (44)(0) 207 040 5832
> Fax (44)(0) 207 040 5866
> Email [log in to unmask]
>
> ****************************************************** Please note
> that if you press the 'Reply' button your message will go only to the
> sender of this message. If you want to reply to the whole list, use
> your mailer's 'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically
> to [log in to unmask]

J. Martin Bland
Prof. of Health Statistics
Dept. of Health Sciences