Please see below information on activities for science communicators taking place this Autumn

1) BA and ESRC Science in Society Seminars - 3, 10, 17 November
2) BA Science Communication Working Lunch, Cardiff - 1 November
3) STEPRA event - An idiots guide to blogging - 12 October

1) BA and ESRC Science in Society Seminars, linking scicomm practitioners and the social science community
The ESRC Science in Society programme explores the rapidly changing relations between science and the wider society, while the BA seeks to help develop a national strategy for science communication.  The two organisations have joined together to develop a seminar series that brings together practitioners and academics committed to improving public engagement, in order to disseminate social science research and build relationships between science communicators and social scientists.

The series is aimed at people engaged in science communication, including policy makers, professionals, academics and students from a broad range of organisations including government departments, science centres and museums, research institutions, universities, industry, NGOs, education, funding organisations, learned societies and PR.

The first three seminars in this series will be held in November at the Dana Centre in London.

Places are FREE but must be pre-booked.  To book, email [log in to unmask] or call 020 7019 4938.

Thursday 3 November 18:30 - 20:00
How do we communicate uncertainty and risk?

Thursday 10 November 18:30 - 20:00
How do we communicate nanotechnology through the media?

Thursday 17 November 18:30 - 20:00
How does industry access and use public knowledge?

For further content information visit http://www.the-ba.net/scicomm

2) BA Science Communication Working Lunch, Cardiff - 'Working with local audiences'

How can we work with local communities to involve them in dialogue on issues involving science?  Can we use existing community networks as a forum for science communication?  What can we learn from the experiences of those working in other fields such as art and culture? What are the barriers to participation and how can we form more effective collaborations?

Join Ruth Garnault, Director Public Programmes, the Wales Millennium Centre, Steve Khaireh, Manager, Butetown Youth Centre, Peter Trevitt, CEO Techniquest to share experiences and discuss how science communicators can collaborate with local community groups.

The aim of this workshop is to
*	learn more about the types of programmes run by community centres and arts and culture centres
*	explore ways in which science communicators can link into local community programmes
*	discuss possible collaborations with community groups
*	learn how to research and make contact with local audiences
*	share thoughts on the barriers to participation in science and art and to look at how we can overcome them
*	provide opportunities for networking

The working lunch will take place on Tuesday 1 November 12:30 - 15:00 at the Wales Millennium Centre Bute Place, Cardiff Bay, CF10 5AL.  Tickets cost £10 and include lunch.  For further information or to book a place visit www.the-ba.net/scicomm or contact [log in to unmask]

3) STEMPRA event: An idiot's guide to blogging

There's one blog created every second, according to blog trackers Technorati. These days, it seems everyone is blogging.

So why aren't we?

The future of PR is not via press releases, but through blogs, claims Adriana Cronin-Lukas from The Big Blog Company. But how many of us don't even know what a blog is, let alone the vast potential it offers?

STEMPRA offers you an idiot's guide to blogging. Join Adriana for a fascinating insight into the world of blogging and find out from Barbara Davies why the Research Defence Society sees blogging as a vital tool for getting its message across.

When: 18:30, Wednesday 12 October
Where: d.studio, Dana Centre, 165 Queen's Gate, London SW7 5HE
Cost: £15 for members, £30 for non-members (which includes membership subscription)

To book your place, please e-mail Craig Brierley at: [log in to unmask]

Nicholas Hillier
Science in Society Manager
The BA (British Association for the Advancement of Science)
Wellcome Wolfson Building
165 Queen's Gate
London SW7 5HE
T 020 7019 4939
F 0870 770 7102

To receive regular updates on events, activities and news from the BA click here: subscribe to free e-news <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  or email 'subscribe' to: [log in to unmask]

This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System on
behalf of the BA (British Association for the Advancement of Science)

send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com nomail

2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:

set psci-com mail

leave psci-com

4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive,
can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and science
and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk