Where scientists meet the media

Following the AGM of the Science, Technology, Engineering and Medicine
Public Relations Association (better known as Stempra) we are organising a
special event.  Come and join us for an evening of friendly banter with
broadcaster Quentin Cooper and scientist Joe Perry, under the watchful eye
of Fiona Fox, director of the Science Media Centre examining the often
colourful language when scientists meet the media.

Where:          The Royal Institution, 21 Albemarle St, London, W1
When:             Thursday 17 March 2005
Time:              Stempra AGM at 17.00
                        Presentations followed by Debate/Discussion at 17.30
                        Wine and canapés to follow with more “informal”
discussion at 18.45

We all know that the objectives of scientists and the media are quite often
at odds, and there have been many discussions about how the two groups might
‘meet in the middle’.  This event will be different.  This won’t be a
serious, in-depth discussion.  This won’t be a battle between the two
parties – although we hope it’ll be lively!

This event will use friendly banter between two eminent and well respected
people in science, chaired by a third equally well-known character, to
explore the boundaries and the challenges that both scientists and the media
face in our increasingly sophisticated world.

An introduction for Quentin Cooper is probably unnecessary, and a few words
would not do him justice as he does so much.  BUT, he’s an enthusiastic
science communicator, he presents The Material World on Radio 4, chairs the
X-change at the BA Festival of Science and he runs science communication
courses.  He brings humour and wit to everything he does.  He is often
quoted as saying:  "For me science isn't a subject, it's a perspective”.

Professor Joe Perry has worked at Rothamsted Research for twenty-eight
years, researching quantitative methods applied to ecology.  He is currently
President of the British Region of the International Biometric Society.
Since 1999 he has been jointly responsible for the design and analysis of
the Farm Scale Evaluations of GM crops and he also has an interest in
bioethics.  He likes singing and playing cricket, but not usually together.

Fiona Fox from the Science Media Centre has agreed to mediate and keep
order.

This is short notice (Quentin has just returned from an extended visit to
New Zealand) but it should be an excellent evening – and its FREE!

IMPORTANT:

Please contact Jacky Hutchinson BY NO LATER THAN MONDAY 14 MARCH, Tel:
01235 44 6482,  [log in to unmask] if you would like to join us.

Juliet Upton
Independent Consultant
and
Chair, STEMPRA

t.  07811 440918
e.  [log in to unmask];

send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com nomail

2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:

set psci-com mail

leave psci-com

4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive,
can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and science
and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk