Hello  Emanuella,

An interesting discussion! Several people have mentioned that the
Research Councils are mandated to work in this area, so I thought I
would provide a little factual information in case you are not familiar
with our arranegments. All the Research Councils operate under Royal
Charter and the mechanism for distributing public money to UK based
researchers and scientists.

The Particle Physics and Astronomy Research Council's charter can be
seen at http://www.pparc.ac.uk/ap/mc/charter.asp
The main elements are:

2. (1) The objects for which the Council is established and
incorporated are:
(a) to promote and support, by any means, high-quality basic research
and related post-graduate training in astronomy, planetary science and
particle physics;
(b) to advance knowledge and technology (including the promotion and
support of the exploitation of research outcomes), and provide trained
scientists and engineers, which have potential to contribute to the
economic competitiveness of Our United Kingdom and the quality of life,
through meeting the needs of users and beneficiaries (including the
communications, electronic and other industries);
(c) in relation to the activities as engaged in by the Council under
(a) and (b) above and in such manner as the Council may see fit:
(i.) to generate public awareness;
(ii.) to communicate research outcomes;
(iii.) to encourage public engagement and dialogue;
(iv.) to disseminate knowledge; and
(v.) to provide advice.

So supporting engagement activities is very much part of our core work.
We do this through a range of initiatives from supporting musuems
directly to helping our researchers engage in outreach activities
(through 1% of their grant funding or direct grants for outreach).

Best wishes,

Julia

>===== Original Message From "psci-com: on public engagement with
science"
>Dear Listmembers,
>
>I work at the Ministry of  Science and Technology of Brazil, in the
>Department of Popularization and Diffusion of Science and Technology,
>which integrates the Secretary for Social Inclusion.
>
>I am writing in the regard of the director of the Department, Mr.
Ildeu de
>Castro Moreira, who is also a member of this list. He has been
discussing
>with our Minister of Science and Technology about the possibility of
>implementing a law of Popularization of Science in Brazil. Then, in
order
>to subsidize these meetings, we ask you all, if possible, to send us
this
>kind of legislation that it may exist in your country.
>
>A Law of Popularization of Science is relevant to our country first
>stablish policies of approaching the scientific community to the
general
>public, second to define the society and communication means
>responsibility and lastly, to raise funds to invest on
popularization.

>Thankfully,
>Emanuella Jaguar

>1. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example,
>send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:
>
>set psci-com nomail
>
>2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:
>
>set psci-com mail
>
>3. To leave psci-com, send an email to [log in to unmask] with
the
message:

>leave psci-com
>
>4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including
list
archive,
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html

>5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication
and
science
>and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk

Lesley Newson
School of Psychology
University of Exeter
Washington Singer Laboratories
Perry Road
Exeter, UK EX4 4QG

Website: http://www.people.ex.ac.uk/ln202

send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com nomail

2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:

set psci-com mail

3. To leave psci-com, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the
message:

leave psci-com

4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including
list archive,
can be found at the list web site:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication
and science
and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk

Julia Maddock
Community Press Officer

Particle Physics & Astronomy Research Council
Polaris House, North Star Avenue, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN2 1SZ, United
Kingdom
Tel +44 (0)1793 442094, Mobile 07901 514975
Fax +44 (0)1793 442002
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.pparc.ac.uk

A disclaimer applies to all e-mails sent from PPARC Swindon Office.  For full text see http://www.pparc.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer.asp