Dear Emanuella,

Many years of experience in Britain has shown that passing legislation in the
attempt to popularise something usually has the opposite effect.  In Britain,
there are policies in place in the research funding bodies that oblige
scientists to disseminate the results of their funded research to the public
as well as other scientists.  We also have policies in place regarding the
teaching of science in schools.

However, this does not appear to be working.  Enrollment in science courses at
university is less than the government would like and, I think, steadily
decreasing.  It might, of course, declined more steeply without these measures
but there is no evidence to support this.

I'm sure other list members can give more details.

Lesley

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html

>5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and
science
>and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk

Lesley Newson
School of Psychology