Hi Katherine

I reckon you need experiments with surprising outcomes, and here are three
that fill the bill admirably;

1. Electrolysis of water (and te subsequent explosive recombination of
hydrogen and oxygen) - easy to do on a tabletop with a couple of D cell
batteries and some stout wire nails as electrodes, and very 'alchemical' in
the sense that it appears to be a transmutation of matter.

2. Making indicator solution from Red Cabbage - looks like making a witches
brew, smells a bit iffy and produces a magical result - a liquid that chages
colour depending on pH. You could even equip yourself with a small cauldron
to do this in.

3. Powder explosions using custard powder, cornflour or similar.
Spectacular, ecxiting, guaranteed to make you an instant hero among the
under 12s, and quite surprising. Most people don't expect to be able to get
a four foot plume of flame out of a tablespoon of custard powder.

If you choose to do 3, don't call it 'exploding custard', though. This term
is a trademark owned by my friend Ian Russell, who has been doing science
shows under this name, and including the eponymous demonstration, for the
last 15 years or so.

Hope this helps,

good luck, and visit www.big.uk.com for more ideas - if you're into science
shows why not become a member of BIG, and come to our fantastic Event in
Newcastle next month (see website for details) where you'll be able to meet
with some of the best scientific showpeople in the country!

Cheers

Richard Ellam
L M Interactive (science shows & hands-on exhibits)
and
Secretary of BIG.