My favourite "chemistry experiment" as a child was making fizz by adding
bicarbonate of soda to vinegar.  I also liked using vinegar or bicarb to
change the colour of berries or solutions of natural dyes like red cabbage.

When we think of illusions, we usually think of visual illusions.  It is fun
to show children that people perceive tastes and smells differently often due
to genetic differences.  There are some smells like fresia which some people
(e.g. me) can't smell and there is that bitter compound (can't remember its
name) that some people can't taste. I, unfortunately can taste it.

When working with children I have found it fun to ask them to speculate about
hy hamsters and gerbils don't die when they fall off tables.  It seems they
should because if relative size were the important factor (which they tend to
think it is) it would be like us falling off a skyscraper.  The physics of
forces is rather different though.  With help they can work it out for
themselves and you see one of those wonderful "eureka moments".

Lesley

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html

>5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and
science
>and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk

Lesley Newson
School of Psychology