A very interesting response,. Chris, & then, yours too, Alison.

I am intrigued by various forms of collaboration, &, in this case,
where obviously the writer has said, Go ahead, then any readerly
queries (or complaints) are moot, really. I think you're right, Chris,
that the spacing does slow a reader down, & that's neat, but also, kind
of, contingent, by which I mean really only happening due to the
installation of the pictures. So, in a way, both of you, working
together as 'co-authors', are allowing chance to play into whatever
changes in meaning accrue.

I also wonder, as did Alison, about what the illustrations do, & what
kind of power they have over the way we take the words. Wonder, & maybe
worry a bit. But also, why not take that chance & see what happens.

Certainly, something really intriguing here....

Doug
Douglas Barbour
Department of English
University of Alberta