The last time I heard both Steve and Bob was in the fall of 2004 at MIT
in Cambridge, MA when Creeley and Lacy did a joined gig (with Irene
Aebi, of course, also there to sing the Creeley poems) -- I drove up
from Albany for the occasion,  and it was extremely moving as some of
us knew Steve was sick with cancer (in fact, my compaņera, Nicole,
couldn't come that evening but went down to NYC the next week to hear
what turned out to be Steve's last gigs at, I think, Irridium -- a
hectic heroic scene that was with 3 1-hour sets & Steve was exhausted
could barely get through & Nicole came back very worried, and rightly
so). But at MIT Bob gave a great reading, Irene sang about half the
songs from FUTURITIES, and Steve blew as cool and smiling as ever.
Irene told me last week, that she has been performing some of the
FUTURITIES tunes with a piano accompaniment & eventually there should
be a recording -- something I'm looking forward to, as Irene's voice
has been getting better and better.

Yes, we miss them both terribly too,

Pierre

On Apr 7, 2005, at 10:18 AM, Douglas Barbour wrote:

> That's a lovely take, Pierre, on both Lacy & Creeley. We were very
> lucky in Edmonton, as it was right on the way when Lacy travelled from
> Paris to NY, so we got to hear his group each year for about 5 or 6
> years in the 90s. What a gift.
>
> Both are spirits missed terribly....

"Lyric poetry has to be exorbitant or not at all."  -- Gottfried Benn
For updates on readings, etc. check my  current events page:
             http://albany.edu/~joris/CurrentEvents.html
Pierre Joris
244 Elm Street
Albany NY 12202