I received today a jiffy bag containing five pairs of Ubuntu Linux
CDs, one of which will be dispatched chez Hamilton later today. The
other four are up for grabs, if anyone's interested. PC only I'm
afraid, although I can't imagine many OS X users wanting to switch in
any case - they've already *got* a user-friendly Unix-variant on their
desktops.

Ubuntu is a "distribution" of the free (as in speech) Gnu/Linux
operating system. It describes itself as "Linux for human beings",
which is not a bad description. The base Ubuntu system fits on one CD,
and is made up of a sensible subset of the vast plethora of available
applications: the Gnome desktop environment, Firefox for browsing the
web, OpenOffice 2.0 for reading and writing office documents (it's
fairly compatible with MS Office), Evolution for email, contacts etc.,
and a decent array of tools for ripping and burning CDs, viewing and
editing images and so on. Packages for almost any other kind of
software application you can imagine are downloadable via the package
manager, synaptic. It's all free (as in beer).

Each pair of CDs consists of an installation CD and a "Live" CD. The
Live CD enables you to try out Ubuntu without having to install
anything - all you have to do is boot from the disc, and you get a
working Gnome desktop complete with OpenOffice, Firefox and a few
games. The installation CD can be used to either replace your existing
operating system with Ubuntu, or set up a "dual boot" system where
Ubuntu sits on the hard disc next to Windows and enables you to choose
between them when the computer starts up.

Send your address to me backchannel if you'd like me to send you one.
Alternatively, packs of five or more can be ordered at no cost from
the Ubuntu website:

http://www.ubuntu.com

There is, so far as I am aware, *no catch*.

Dominic

p.s. for information about the Free Software movement, and the
principles behind Ubuntu Gnu/Linux, see the website of the Free
Software Foundation:

http://www.fsf.org/

--
Shall we be pure or impure? Today