----- Original Message -----
From: "Jow Lindsay" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 9:19 AM
Subject: A poem from Jow

BROKEN THE BACK OF IT

I.

juice in jelly in cup in girl
the broad on the lawn gets off, scythe-struck in depths
shallow grass that folks
do days before.  hurled.  chucked!
two brown bayonets, breaths steamed accounts.

don't
no no no no
don't
no not

of horse qua hummingbird fragment
braiding toad's noticed jumps get lawnmower out of stuck Virgin sacrifice
the sapling in the stab wound
and man, muffled, surveyed nightmare,

trying to focus.  dutch bin, dutch bin.  oh dutch bin?  oh dutch bin?
the sutiken suffegems.  at first Dasien threw me but now
"mommy?" moans the silhouette in the doorway's glow
a murderous imposter, it the face of a crow

phosophorous viscous gobble perpendicular
no n as in nobility
which, seeing the mist, shruggingly violated
light made me gleamed, not because muted,

II.

a red shadow, ahhh.  what can sing that?
the old dutch wisdom, is a joke we don't understand.
them, cooing at their mains-toasted manna
shrugged blunt on the ruby's knife.

to flee if and when hot air balloon animals are giants hunting
hunting us to where a murmurmaid

and you are lost
wandzap!  her song was skeined with the waves and seabird calls all along
lemon, meat and chicken.  oh she is upstairs sucking my cock.

icecream a spare arse, my they are your or in his perhaps hands tonight?
gelding to stirrups to cinammon.  delegated offended.  flupberstumped,
settle maddeningly that a slashed football was a sherriff that night!
for Tom didn't know if he like knew what Terri was talking about

nah
no no no
no
no no

I got only to hand it to you, you go on a bit.
I ought to give you.  shoulder to shoulder
here, the Lempel-Ziv fart of a lone bugle.
here, ice oats holds up, swaying, a compact to nature.  it plays
Pandora's box set.  it plays the cunning old sailor's sack, next
for heads, as though, kittens used.  hacks.  songs running through necks.
drums, sir?

a leaf dropping assiduously concealed dove's other beak, just
of measuring him first up against the
dyke.
come kid,
the water's
wed your too-thin thumb.  but a bee
stings to it.  its swell plugging our gap.

III.

gleefully hoof on flay sugarcane flummoxing
juicy ropy see-through babelfish itching-case
group the others by liver-chestnut killer
I'm where just anyone has wreaths

bread and we um rise before the sun; when
our powder pouts in fire each morning, then
the sneer at home loses clout, and ire; and
bread's burning less than war blisters the hand.

but we've no beef with, indeed admire, fellows of furore.
sans foodstuff to foam, their rims softly spill horror.
they are at a loss as to why their baguette's on fire.
it is rising in the east, it is a spelling error.

outflated glob abruptly fret you head.
clerks regretful for cockle coital bird, the rank swollen.
the ships ruin with greedy desire.
their ports are on fire.

blushing, mourning might put it out,
the ships have no intent of turning,
their captains teeter beyond our shouts.
your London wives are burning.

IV.

you have one week before you must
remember her phlogiston cheek,
fall to your knees to bleed or weep.
see! our pleas arrive confused with dust,
since ash, not Virgin, intercedes,
however - hermit's prayers come clean, wet,
rinsed in fine rising dew.  his needs
are few, mild, and promptly met.
a bureaucratic error, and the Solomonites
consumed by doom doing holy rites.

foodtufts,
chock-a-block with luge, chrome,
cloys stumps awhile
capyburas responsibly caught
period fuck windzip
dot tar brow

lock-in clysis clucky
lown cliché choosy claret well bucket
floppy cysts clam cough coapt, clicking coat
lipid Terri mosaic
lurky bonobos chowed cogway cues chains of command

coff coff clue lunges cuban clipped
closer lossy corsets and crumbs golder
mank dust slings foragive foot pump to tumour tie on so tight
murmur up up through sleep (think of a kite)

     dense coital suicide lures lustre
chutes kyak curdle balloon
membranous witch, well curve
curer heart niggles lust manna sealed

V.

     nigger nigger nigger nigger nigger nigger
[...]

I'm really curious what you think a reader will get out of this.  What
impetus, what reason does the reader have to work through these apparently
random associations and - squinting mentally - find some situation or theme
that connects them?  Or do you think a (sophisticated) reader will do so
spontaneously?

In line 16, do you mean "Dasein"?