  From: Dominic Fox <[log in to unmask]>
  To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
  Date: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 10:33 PM
  Subject: Re: Poetry and spiritualisation

  There's spirituality and spirituality. I don't go for the
  luxuriating-in-the-divine-plenitude stuff, particularly, because it
  strikes me as offering a kind of false consolation (or "cheap grace",
  to borrow a phrase). But you can have my George Herbert when you pry
  it out of my cold, dead fingertips.

  Anything remotely New Age makes me barf. Andrew Duncan has a good line
  in a piece on Gavin Selerie:

  "Clearly, if the author is associating with people who believe in
  fortune telling, it would be rather rude of him to disbelieve in this
  and cognate brands of addle-pated nonsense. Hence use of the
  irrational is a kind of stalking-horse. If you don't trust the
  testimony of the people with you, you are authoritarian and
  centralising in mentality. It's the kind of attitude test by which
  that kind of person decided whether you were acceptable as a
  companion."

  There is simply no point at all in arguing with such people, since the
  more carefully you refine your argument, and the more forcefully you
  press it, the more of an utter bastard they think you are just for
  thinking and talking in what they perceive to be an inhumanly cold and
  unyieldingly vindictive fashion. Even attempting to deflect the claims
  pressed upon one ("Swallow this. It's good for you") with what one
  hopes are urbane and witty deflationary gestures is likely to lead to
  sour looks and accusations of harbouring a sarcastic and disrespectful
  attitude.

  So there is a certain "spirituality" in poetry, also, which is really
  there to keep the disputatious at bay, to create a sort of safe space
  within the poem for cozy addle-patedness. It's a warding charm against
  the always potentially divisive exercise of intellect, and where you
  see that charm being brandished it's a pretty sure bet that some
  species of complaisant anti-intellectualism is not far behind.

  Dominic