Ah, well, I do disagree. I had read the Economu version first and liked it and only
today read the Haviaras translation and from the beginning, it struck me as
more fluid of voice. That "old book" rather than "antique" book also seems more
culturally on, but, aside from that,  since 'antique' in English has a particular
time definition,  it would be redundant to go on and add the 'hundred years'
and in the poem Cavafy in describing the watercolor uses not only the adjective,
but then goes on to add, a hundred years or so old.

"Representation of Eros" seems also to me to work better in English than
"Presentation of Love" which sounds somewhat 'pseudo-title' for a painting. And
in first reading the Economu version, I found the line

    "The utmost sensualists' love" would have been more apt.

abstract and awkward, whereas Haviaras'

"Of Eros in Extremis" would have been more to the point

has that catch of a living voice. I don't know as 'sculptural quality' is a quality in
Cavafy's work; in that I'll have to defer to my friend who is a native Greek
speaker and a poet and translator from Greek who finds that the Haviaras
translations are closer to the cadence and voice of Cavafy. Also culturally, I think
"everyday morality" and "unseemly" are closer to Greek Alexandrine views of
this, rather than "current morality" and "shameless" which may seem stronger in
Anglo/English views and language but perhaps not what Cavafy meant. Well, I
am sort of stuck here between conversations in reality, unquotable, and
conversations in virtual reality, so I'm just going to go off and learn more, but I
thought I should chime in and draw attention to some of the merits of the
Haviaras (whom I don't know) translation before there's some kind of poetic
electoral landslide that obliterates a worthwhile work from view.

Best,

Rebecca