Hi Doug,

Yes, the smoke has been pervasive over the last few years. This smoke
wasn't close by. Somewhere inland. There's been worse fires in South
Australia (nine deaths) and Victoria. There are hopes this year in NSW
won't be so bad. We'll see.

On Saturday, January 15, 2005, at 02:25  AM, Douglas Barbour wrote:

> ah yes, what happens there when we're freezing way up here. But that
> smoke has wafted in your windows all too often these past few years,
> hasn't it.
>
> I really like the physicalness of that aftertaste...
>
> Doug
> On 12-Jan-05, at 8:48 PM, Jill Jones wrote:
>
>> we don't see smoke
>> but we let it in
>> a little, like night
>> realised at a window
>> its caterwauls and breaks
>> in the breeze flaps
>>
>> so land burns
>> and here's the aftertaste
>> mixed in coast salt
>> as sweat trickles breasts
>> and I'm lost for change
>> in the morning
>>

>> Jill Jones
>> Marrickville, 13 Jan 2005
>>

> Douglas Barbour
> Department of English
> University of Alberta
> Edmonton  Alberta  T6G 2E5 Canada
> (780) 436 3320
> http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/dbhome.htm
>
> The poet is ecstatic, having dreamt of this visit for weeks.
> He takes Erato’s face, dribbling and wild, between his hands
>
> and kisses her gently as if she were a runaway teenager.
>
>                        Diana Hartog

Jill Jones

web site: http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~jpjones
blog: http://rubystreet.blogspot.com/

Latest books:
Struggle and radiance: ten commentaries (Wild Honey Press)
http://www.wildhoneypress.com

Screens Jets Heaven. Available now from Salt Publishing
http://www.saltpublishing.com