There's a terrible film called _Event Horizon_, in which a space ship
sent through a hole in reality to get to the other side of the galaxy
disappears completely, then reappears years later haunted by an
unspeakable demonic presence. In that film, the realm of the ab-surd -
outside conventional physics, normal space and time - is quite
definitely a realm of PURE CHAOS AND EVIL, as the scary techno music
soundtrack reminds us at every turn when we're not actually being
confronted with characters clawing their own eyes out in horror. It's
an awful movie, and I don't recommend actually watching it, but for
some reason it stuck in my mind. Possibly Joely Richardson. She seems
quite intelligent, but my goodness she's been in some stinkers.

How could a realm of PURE CHAOS be EVIL, you ask? At least, you do if
you're used to magic systems in which CHAOS is orthogonal to GOOD and
EVIL and a mage can as easily be CHAOTIC GOOD as LAWFUL EVIL. Rest
assured that the film does not in any way attempt to resolve this
conundrum. But Sam Neill is pretty good as the demonically possessed
Doctor Weir.

I don't really want to go to Gitmo, but since it came up I would
comment that nonsense can be an assault on sense - on the senses - and
that both malicious and benevolent uses of the non sequitur to shock
and destabilize are documented. Zen koans are I suppose benevolent
examples. Most of the nonsensical opinion pieces I read in the
Guardian nowadays strike me as malevolent, in a castrated sort of way.

Edward Lear? Harmless, charming, also ever so slightly subversive
although it's hard to say just how or why. In a way it's the
harmlessness that's so subversive: the Pobble Who Had No Toes has also
no axe to grind. Compare Spike Milligan, whom I've never found
terribly funny (this would be a generational thing, I guess: Chris
Morris is more to my taste) but who emits a distinct *hwaet!* of
grinding axes even at his silliest.

Dominic