It's a bit of a factitious "series" anyway (I've seen claims that
Canaan + TTOL + Speech! Speech! are a trilogy, then that TTOL +
Speech! Speech! + The Orchards of Syon are a trilogy, then Scenes from
Comus came out...it's a bit like The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy
billing itself as a trilogy in five parts). I think he just keeps
knocking them out, and will probably carry on doing so until the
reaper catches up with him.

While the poems present themselves as outward and visible signs of an
inward and spiritual struggle with difficult matter, they are not
themselves "difficult" in that sense. "Impenetrable", yes; but other
people's minds *are* impenetrable and I think part of the point is to
remind the reader of that fact. I don't think it actually helps that
much to be a literary intellectual. Because Hill himself is a literary
intellectual, I suppose that literary intellectuals might share more
of his frame of reference, but even among literary intellectuals
people who've read Thomas Bradwardine's _De Causa Dei_, or even know
what it's about, are in somewhat of a minority.

There are at any one time various overlapping "consensus realities",
shared frames of reference which are useful for exchanging information
(or disinformation) and co-ordinating activity (or inactivity, as may
be). When we talk about poetry having "an audience", often we mean
something like market positioning: poetry that is pitched to a
particular discursive consensus, and especially poetry that reinforces
that consensus, tends to be found "penetrable" by consensus-users and
achieves "market penetration" as a result. This interpenetration
produces satisfying feelings of cathexis and mutual warmth, in the
absence of which the reading public tends to feel spurned or cheated
and goes off in search of the superior jollies that are to be had
elsewhere.

Being a modernist, Hill wants to renew the language of consensus, to
broaden the spectrum of information it is able to carry, purify it of
certain sorts of disinformation ("cant"), and perhaps encourage its
users to "alter their object and better their intent". The fact that
much of his poetry seems like indigestible foreign matter is presented
as evidence of the narrowness of our public faculties: Hill advances a
persona who in attempting to articulate what most nearly concerns him
finds himself driven back into an obsessional private code, because
the things he wants to say are not *sayable* in the common tongue.

The point I'm trying to make is that if one finds oneself unable to
grasp what is going on in the interior of this obsessional private
discourse, that does not mean that either oneself or the poem has
failed (on account of the insurmountable "difficulty" of the task).
Hill's poetry dramatizes the dissociation between private reason (and
passion) and public speech, and tries to reconnect and reconfigure
what has become disconnected and disfigured. It's not so much
something you understand, as something you watch him do.

Dominic

--
// Alas, this comparison function can't be total:
// bottom is beyond comparison. - Oleg Kiselyov