On 21/2/05 4:11 AM, "Joanna Boulter" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I wonder if it was the source of that sometimes bitter pronunciation
> controversy, 'veni vidi vici' as against 'weni widi wichi', which I always
> thought of as confined (or if not it ought to be) to ecclesiastical and
> 'singing' Latin.

I was taught the soft "v"; I think - it was a long time ago - from a series
which came from Cambridge.  ("Hic est Caecillius" &c) And if I read Latin
poetry, which I can say out loud if not understand, that's the pronunciation
I use, because it's melodic and beautiful.  The hard "v" sounds Anglicised
to my ear.

Best

Alison Croggon

Blog: http://theatrenotes.blogspot.com