>may be able to enter into thought and
>behavior modes that look like psychotic symptoms, but that alone wouldn't
>qualify him/her--it's the ability to enter that state and come back again
>to the everyday that's important.

Ah, I agree with you, Mark, about this, that it's the ability to enter thought and
behavior modes that "look like" psychotic symptoms, as Dickinson wrote "much
madness is diviner sense to a discerning eye" or Shakespeare's compact of
lover/madman/poet and "come back again to the everyday." One of the
characteristics too, it seems to me, is that it is somewhat contained, in other
words, these 'thought and behavior modes' that look like psychotic symptoms
occur in particular occasions, which are themselves limited in time, bound by
certain assumptions and the various participants, the 'anonymonity' of the
masque, festivals of 'letting all the dogs out', the  bounding by time
(festival for only a day or a week) which pressures, having some use, in part,  to
'purge' or 'let out' or 'bring in' various  realities that were there anyway here
within the community. It's more complicated, of course, as you know, since it's
not necessarily a shaman, many of these events have some dark figure that
'sanctions' or initiates them, its unallowable disclosures provoking the
disclosures of others. But it seems to me that such a liminal state can be most
useful to one's art, allowing the mimicry and rapid moving through various
conventions, burning through various tired tropes and voices, allowing the
marginal and despised into different positions in one's work, etc. but even there
as you say it's the coming back to the everyday or simultaneously not having left
it, it'd be different if one weren't or weren't capable of washing the clothes!

best,

Rebecca