Alison:

> Yes, agreed on the Victoriana, though I like Rossetti very much.  I
remember
> thinking Tennyson's poem (I can't remember the details and am not going to
> look it up) about Come into the garden Maude was hilarious, though.  Was
it
> Maude who was a-weary, a-weary, I would that I were dead?  Not much
suckling
> there, but it's great fun to say out loud, and can be a very useful tool
for
> annoying people when you're 12.

"The Lady of Shallot" -- 'Oh I am aweary, and would that I were dead!"

        ... looking into the mirror crack'd from side to side ...

                    {Lusting after Lancelot}

                            R.

(The amount of Victorian suppressed sexual imagery, not just in "Goblin
Market", is quite incredubble.)

You couldn't get away with it, even in cable today, in Dubya's America:

        "The curse has come upon me!"
        Said the Lady of Shallot.

R.