> From: "Stephen Vincent" <[log in to unmask]>
>
>> Peace, Alison, 'cluck' and 'suck' rhyme for no good reason other than
>> everything is connected
>
> Actually, I think it may be more complicated than that, with a deep
> phoenaesthetic link between the two words --
>
>       ... think:
>
>                                cluck suck buck ruck duck -- inter alia.
>
> Phoenaesthetic links tend to be scouted in semantic theory, as they're
> difficult to code and mostly work on exclusionary principles, so the
> CONSONANT [u] CONSONANT combination doesn't *enforce* any tight range of
> meaning, but does exclude lots.
>
>       Does this make sense?
>
>                       Prolly not ...
>
>                                   :-(
>
> Robin Hamilton

Robin, I will buy(!) Alison's inundation with nonsense as meaning and say
this is wonderful and I suspect beyond all good sense one's best language -
I mean the real thick quilted stuff - is by definition phonemically spliced
into aesthetic glory consonant by consonant with vowels for spacing to
guarantee a pause to enliven the shimmering. Shucks, who needs 'meaning'!

Stephen V
Blog: http://stephenvincent.durationpress.com