Andrew Burke wrote:

>Yes, just the right poem can help. And it could be a shit poem but if it
>connects, then it will work. Of course, even a poet might help :-) Your help
>and friendship is absolutely important, David.

Thanks, Andrew....

EsMiss EsMoore! EsMiss, EsMoore!
--------------------------------------
She was right, calling it fiddle.
It changes nothing.
Mostly it is egowalking.
If poets thaumaturged for a living
if, that is, they could fix your sorry ass,
do you think so many would be
drunks
suicides?
Would you be a drunk or suicide?
Do you think poets died to save the race?

Music may change the world
songs--a fighting chance.
It is the music.  Maybe the words
carry their own music
if we find them good enough
whatever that means.
Associations, memories,
sense of place, a Jesuitical exercise
where we compose the site,
remember the emotion.
"When I Am Laid In Earth"
"Senza Mama"
and watch me come apart
decompose and recompose.

October 1978, facing eviction
with a wife and new baby,
I ran a delivery route for the Newark Star-Ledger.
Met a newspaper truck each morning
4:00, seven days a week,
cover delivery routes in the hills
of Kinnelon and Butler.
In 1978 Billy Joel is hot:
"I Love You Just The Way You Are."
I can still feel the air in the Jersey hills
remember getting out of the car to take a leak
on the roadside in the darkness,
have no idea whether we'd all survive
or how, not have specific faith, but
feel somehow detached, uncaring
not knowing that two weeks later I'd land
on my feet for the first of many times.

I pass the house these days in Elberon
near Long Branch
where Billy Joel built a house in the shape
of a grand piano, a gift to Christie Brinkley
from whom he was divorced before the thing was done,
but the house is still there, an object of mockery
and wonder, a Jewish Taj Mahal for a shiksa he
used to love,
and it's so easy for us to forget, so easy,
the gratitude attending on the builder,
so easy to forget that Billy Joel, for several predawns
in the darkness of October long ago
held fear back from me in the autumn darkness
and helped me not to think.

Ken/12-18-05

Kenneth Wolman	www.kenwolman.com		kenwolman.blogspot.com

39. Not observing the imperfections of others, preserving silence and a continual communion with God will eradicate great imperfections from the
soul and make it the possessor of great virtues.
			--St. John of the Cross, Maxims on Love (The Minor Works)