On 15/12/05 11:45 PM, "Roger Day" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Do you sing
> the settler's lament? Or is your song the wild colonial boy?

God forbid, neither.

Forgive me Roger, but this discussion makes me uncomfortable.  I have never
cared for being "topical" or "relevant" or even "progressive", terms which
mean nothing to me in terms of poems or art in general, and I suppose I
write out of my present and whatever brokennesses my various lives bring to
it. I certainly don't feel any compulsion to speak about any quality called
"Australian" in my work, though I would say that I wouldn't write like this
if I hadn't lived here since I was seven.  Quod scripsi scripsi -

Best

Alison Croggon

Blog: http://theatrenotes.blogspot.com
Editor, Masthead:  http://masthead.net.au